Saturday 26 October 2013

Fiction is Not "f*cking waste of time"

The Princess Diaries
Noel Gallagher recently proclaimed to the world that in his opinion reading fiction is a "f*cking waste of time". I've never been a fan of Oasis well apart from a one night out where it seemed important to learn the lyrics to Wonder-wall as social pressure mounted upon my naive bones. I find their music overrated and oversubscribed (there I said), now the stoning by Oasis fans can begin.

Anyway for those like me who find Noel Gallagher asinine, mundane and lacking in common sense, you might agree with me that his opinions are silly and to demonstrate this, I've listed three good reasons why reading fiction is not "f*cking waste of time".



  1.  Fiction teaches you about Sex. I'm not saying that you can't learn about sex in non-fiction I'm saying you learn about healthy relationships, dysfunctional and sexual relationships. You learn that sex is a normal part of life if you don’t take Fifty Shades of Grey as a bible for sexual relationships.
  2. Without fiction I wouldn't be able to fall in love over and over again. The first book boy I feel in love with happened to be Michael from the Princess Diaries; he was charming and very sexy. Then Darcy came along and then I had a brief interlude with David Copperfield and so on and so forth. 
  3. Fiction is real life glossed over, many authors take aspects of their lives and fictionalize them, for example Marian Keyes's depression influenced Watermelon.

No comments:

Post a Comment