Sunday 1 September 2013

Review: Moody Not Broody

Moody not Broody: to breed or not to breed? THAT is the question.Synopsis 


Emma is a newly-wed looking forward to some blissful years with her new husband, but everyone else expects her to have children. They think that because she is a teacher, she MUST want children. However, Emma has never wanted children and has to convince her husband, her family and her friends that she's not cut out for motherhood. 

Emma would much rather pursue her career in teaching and work with children with Special Educational Needs, but then her plans are thwarted and she has to make a choice which will affect her and her husband, Mike, forever. Purchase


Review


From the beginning I couldn't put Moody Not Broody down. As many readers who follow on Twitter might be aware I started reading this at the same time as One Day, they are complete opposites but read together was a lesson on the different styles of writing. Moody Not Broody is set to a great extent in a school, with funny anecdotes and humorous conversations that had me laughing out loud.  One of my pet hates are books set in schools because they at times draw stereotypical characters that seem self obsessed and complain themselves into a coma about teaching but this works. I think it's because the characters are relatable, the type of people I could have a drink with at the end of a school day.

Moody Not Broody I originally thought would be about a woman wanting a child and getting pregnant, a book similar to No One Has Sex on Tuesday. I was wrong, this book isn't necessarily about pregnancy but about friendships, marriage and families, the pregnancy or lack of it becomes secondary which I found to be fantastic, a breath of fresh air. Emma's reluctance to have a child is refreshing because although she works with children, she is sure she doesn't want children, there is no uncertainty, she is sure she does not want children. There is a myth out there that all women of a certain age want children and she proves that she doesn't not because she is flawed as a woman but because she sees no appeal in having children.

She is however under pressure by her know it all husband Mike. Mike was my least favorite character in the book because at times he did seem very smarmy and controlling. He didn't seem to be accepting of his wife's flaws or quirks and for this reason he irritated me beyond belief. The scenes with him became my least favorite scenes but towards the end he did start to grow on me and I hope there is sequel which shows him in a better light. 


I was impressed by Kathyn Player's writing; she is funny, succinct and doesn't waffle on and on like so many authors. Once I started reading this book, I found it impossible to put it down. This is one of those reads that makes you think about the impact of children and whether the decision is truly a woman's decision. I felt that it was inevitable almost that Emma would get pregnant, either that or leave her husband.  I loved this book, it kept me awake till the early hours of the morning.  This is a wonderful debut novel by a fantastically funny author. 

No comments:

Post a Comment