Wednesday 24 October 2012

Author Interview




I recently interviewed the author of the “The Wedding Wager”, Regina Duke. Her books are simply beautiful. Her characters are compelling and believable. Everyone should get to experience the world she creates. I simply can’t stop reading her books.

Interview 

What inspired you to write your first book? 

Hi, everyone! Regina Duke here! I wrote my first one at the age of 13, so I’ve always wanted to share my stories. I have characters popping into my head all the time, and I feel driven to write their stories. I love it when other people enjoy reading them. :-)

Do you have a specific writing style?

 I’m not sure I would label how I write as a “style.” I do have a personal narrative voice that many people enjoy. If pressed, I would consider my style “casual” and many reviewers have commented that my books are “easy to read.” I want my characters to talk like real people.

How did you come up with the titles?

Sometimes titles are a problem. They don’t always come easy. But THE WEDDING WAGER just knocked on my brain and said “Use me!!!”  The next novel (I’m writing furiously!) will be called THE WEDDING HAZARD. It should be out before Christmas.

Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life? 

I think all writers rely on their personal experiences for inspiration. But I never write about real people. I may borrow a mannerism or a physical trait, but it is not a good idea to write about real people, not even if you change their names. Besides, the imaginary people that live in my head are a lot funnier and much more adventurous than the real people I know! :-)

What books have most influenced your life most?

 I think the ones I read as a child were most influential. As for modern books, there are so many, I couldn’t possibly make a list without leaving someone out, so let’s just say that I continue to read as much as I can.

What book are you reading now?

I am actually reading a book by a pet psychic!

Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?

Okay, three questions about who I’m reading! All right, I love Sandra Edwards’ romance novels. And Cate Rowan creates wonderful magical worlds of romance. Vicky Loebel writes very dark but enjoyable paranormals. And B. D. Millis has just published one of her mysteries for Kindle.  Jannine Gallant also writes romantic suspense and is very good.

What are your current projects?

 I already mentioned THE WEDDING HAZARD coming up soon. I also am working on a cozy mystery novella called THE POODLE WORE PLAID. It’s a sequel to THE WOOF IN THE WEDDING PLANS, which is a sequel to NORTH RIM DELIGHT.

Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?

 Even before I had pens and paper at my disposal, I was running movies in my head. I remember being eight years old and starring in a movie with other eight-year-olds who just happened to be child super heroes! Once I was old enough to get an allowance, I began spending it on pens and paper, and I began writing my stories down. School friends used to ask me for stories in junior high, and after homework, I would write like crazy, all by hand, and I would pass those stories around at school. I think I was destined to write books. One of my earliest memories dates from when I was five, and I had a children’s book called “Honeybunch.” I couldn’t read it yet, but I traced the letters from the page onto a piece of paper. It just felt like the right thing to do! I was born to write, I guess.

Have you read fifty shades of Grey and what do you think of the characters?

 No, unfortunately I have not read that one yet.

 Do you have any advice for other writers?

Write every day. Write the stories that you want to tell. Read books and take courses to improve your writing. Work at it like an art form. If you want to play piano, you know you have to practice a lot. Writing is the same way. You get better and better over time. When you let people read your stories, do not feel sad if they point out mistakes in spelling or if they tell you they don’t like it. You may be writing a romance and they may only enjoy horror stories! It doesn’t mean your book or story is no good. Find a writer’s group to join. If you don’t enjoy that group, look for another one. Just keep writing.






2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the lovely words, Agnes! I am thrilled to be featured on your blog. :-) I should let people know that they can follow me on Twitter at
    @ReginaDuke1 (don't forget the number 1) or on Facebook at
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Regina-Duke/294200093929812

    I'm so glad you are enjoying my books! :-)

    ReplyDelete