Sunday 20 January 2013

Review: This Thirtysomething Life

This Thirtysomething LifePurchase via Amazon

Synopsis
Being a thirtysomething man isn't easy (especially when you still yearn to be a twentysomething man). Meet Harry Spencer. History teacher, lover of snack food and terrified of growing up. However, when his wife Emily drops the P-Bomb, Harry is suddenly thrust into the role of expectant father.

When he's tempted by the greener grass of an ex-girlfriend past, Harry has to make the most important decision of his life. Does he have what it takes to become a man, or will he succumb to the lure of adolescent fantasy?


Review

Right, This 30 something Life. I enjoyed it.  There were many laugh out loud moments for example when Harry damages his back during coitus.   I found myself laughing so hard, I couldn't breathe.  This 30 something Life is very reminiscent of Jamie from Love from both side by Nick Spalding.  But unlike Jamie, Harry can come across as unlikable  He lacks depths at times, his reasons for cheating on his nagging wife are flimsy and I thought he was looking for an excuse to stray and his wife's pregnancy gave him the perfect excuse.

Apart from Brian, I found all the other characters to be extremely aggravating  Harry is the worst husband, Emily is even worse as a wife. These two together - a disaster waiting to happen. Emma is very very angry. She's angry at everything. I'm sure pregnant women aren't this angry all the time.  There's also a sense of unhappiness about these two, they to be miserable half of time. I found myself asking why they were still together. The characters are very stereotypical and sometimes very offensive but overall it was a funny read and despite the little annoyances  I'm glad I picked it up.

Would I recommend this book? 100%  Any book that aggravated and captivated me this much deserves a read.

No comments:

Post a Comment